Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Big News

When the school year was coming to a close, I was approached by my principal about my job for the next school year.  Now, I had a sneaking suspicion that things were going to change for a while, especially since my 4th grade class for the 2011-2012 school year only had 8 students and the 3rd grade class only had 13 (and a few were not coming back).  I was still blown away when I was told that the combining of the two grades was happening and she wanted me to be that teacher.

Three things went through my mind:
1. HOLY CRAP!
2.  I didn't loose my job!
3.  How the heck am I going to teach Math, Reading, English, Religion, Science, Social Studies, and Spelling/Vocab to two grades (14 subjects total), at the same time, everyday, without a chaotic classroom.

It would take me a LONG summer, lots of anxiety issues, and lots of tears before I would think I had an idea.  It would take just about 8 weeks, to figure out I am doing the right thing, and admit that I am actually enjoying it.  Yes, I said it, I am enjoying teaching two grades at the same time.



Shannon Elizabeth Hoff

No comments:

Post a Comment