Tuesday, October 23, 2012

First Day and Week


August 20, 2012 would prove to be one of the most anxiety ridden first days of school I would ever go through (or so I hope).  This day was my 6th first day as a teacher and 22 first day all together (as a student and a teacher).  

On the first day of school of my first year of teaching in 2007, I was SUPER nervous.  I walked into the gym that year, and turned around to walk out.  If it wasn't for my roommate/friend Cathy, I don't know if I would have made it in there.  This years first day of school, I was SUPER SUPER nervous and anxious.

When I walked into that cafeteria, I had a lot of confused faces of my 4th and 5th graders.  The 4th graders were happy to have me as their teacher and some of the 5th graders were wondering why both grades were sitting at the same table (if you remember from my previous post, most parents and students did not know about the combined grades).  Let me tell you, their facial expressions were PRICELESS.  


The day went pretty smooth.  The first day always does.  Kids are too scared and unaccustomed to your room to try anything.  We did the traditional first day of school activities, unpacked supplies, and started some learning.  The 5th graders tried to upstage me by interrupting me and finishing my sentences about rules (they really hadn't changed since the year before), but I put them in their places :)

The whole week went really smooth.  I started the routine of teaching the different subjects right away.  I knew, for my sake, that the earlier it was taught, the better the outcome would be.  So, I'll say it before you say it, I worked myself up for nothing.  I enjoyed that first week, and I am still enjoying it today.  Hopefully the same can be said in June!!

Shannon Elizabeth Hoff

No comments:

Post a Comment