Thursday, October 11, 2012

Parent Reaction

Parent reaction to combined grades classes was something I was worried about.  I wasn't really worried about the parents not wanting me as their teacher.  I know, without sounding arrogant, that a lot of past and potential parents view me as a good teacher who prepares their child for the next year.  I was worried that parents would ask me what the plan was for teaching and I had no idea what I would say because I had no clue!!

The decision was made to not tell the parents before the 2011-2012 school year was over.  The decision was to wait until mid-July and have the parents come in for a meeting.  We held a meeting, and only one parent came.  Just one.  She was fine with the idea and had no problems.

A letter was then emailed and snail mailed out.  No one came to complain or say anything.  Come to find out, most of the parents did not read the letter or didn't get it.  Most students came to school on the first day of school and then found out that I was either teaching them again (in the case of the 5th graders) or that 4th grade was now with the 5th grade.  Crazy!!  

There has only been one complaint.  The complaint was I wasn't teaching and just sat and ignored the kids.  My principal said "Not True.  She NEVER sits down.  She is constantly teaching," which is completely true (thanks for the support).  

Overall, a positive parent reaction and no problems 8 weeks in.  Always great to have parent support and understanding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment